Sir Thomas Mitchell Reserve

Sir_Thomas_Mitchell_Playground.jpg

Description

31a Alexander St, DUNDAS VALLEY

Sir Thomas Mitchell Reserve is a 3.9 hectare popular sporting venue, which was formerly used a quarry. Thomas Livingstone Mitchell (later Sir Thomas Mitchell) realised that the rock material at this site would make a very suitable road surface. In 1832 he opened a quarry to provide ‘blue metal’ for use on roads throughout the colony, which operated continuously until the early 20th century. The former quarry is of geological significance as it contains a partially exposed edge of volcanic rock (diatreme), which is the sole remnant of a large volcanic intrusion which occurred between 200 and 250 million years ago. Sir Thomas Mitchell Reserve has the following facilities:

  • Sporting fields
  • Children’s Playground
  • Seating
For bookings or further information regarding Council's parks and reserves please contact our customer service line on 9806 5050